06 December 2011

arrival in Cape Town

After departing from JFK at 10:40 am on Friday morning November 18, we finally arrived in Cape Town at 1:30 pm local time (which was 6:30 am New York time, exactly 24 hours since we had hopped in our Super Shuttle and left my apartment the day before) on Saturday November 19. This was my first experience traveling such a long distance + across time zones. Boy, was I in for a surprise! Shortly after we took off in New York, it was lights out and windows closed on the plane. They fed us lunch (which was more like dinner) and then immediately tried to get us on South African time...which meant I was trying to sleep for the night at 1 pm in the afternoon. I watched a few movies (The Help, Tree of Life - which I don't recommend, especially for a flight) and then slept on and off most of the way. 14 hours later we arrived in Johannesburg to catch our flight to Cape Town.

It can always be challenging to get 16 people headed in the same direction at the same time, but when you add an airport in there the difficulty seems to grow exponentially! We made it...but it was a close call and our flight was cancelled so that gave us a little extra time.

Around 11 am local time, we hopped aboard a short 2 hour flight to Cape Town. When I stepped off the plane, I knew it was worth it!

We were greeted by these wonderful faces & wonderful signs!


(barely holding my eyes open here...can you tell!?)










































[Believe me, so much more to come...I haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet. Stick around.]

No comments:

Post a Comment