13 July 2011

"Harry Potter, Jesus, and Me"

I recently stumbled across this article on twitter a few days ago: Harry Potter, Jesus and Me. It was after midnight when I found it, but I couldn't stop reading until almost 1 AM. I love this "staged" letter to JK Rowling that Andrew Peterson wrote regarding the emotions evoked in him while reading the Harry Potter series. I wouldn't mind writing the same letter to her.


Dear Ms. Rowling,

I think it’s remarkable what you’ve done. I love your imagination. I love your characterization and your sense of humor. I love that you’re telling a story about choosing the right thing, even when it’s hard. I love that you’re telling a story that is full of wisdom, a story that reminds me how evil Evil is. Most of all, I love that your story reminds me that light is stronger than darkness, that the best way to love is to lay your life down, and that Death will not have the final say. By the way, I’m a follower of Christ, and I see him in your story. I don’t know if that’s intentional or not, but you should know that he’s in there. In fact, it wouldn’t be a huge stretch to say that reading your books has helped me to praise him even more for his courage, his sacrifice, and his strength to conquer the hosts of hell to save us.



No comments:

Post a Comment