14 September 2008

a taste of peanuts in the big apple

Last Thursday morning I was walking to the subway to go to work and one of the free daily newspapers, AM NY, caught my eye in a different way than usual - plastered on the front page, I saw a photograph of a green street sign that read 'Dothan City Limit'. I was taken a little off guard and thought "wow, Dothan, like in Alabama." Then I noticed the headline of the newspaper was "Shalom Y'all" and I knew it must be referring to the Peanut Capital of the World where the annual National Peanut Festival is held every year.


Apparently, a very wealthy family in Dothan is paying a large number of Jews in New York City to move down there to help build up the Jewish community. The price was something like $50,000, which I thought that was interesting because at first it doesn't seem like a whole heck of a lot of money. And then I realized that anyone who would be accustomed to living in NYC wouldn't think that was a lot of money, but to move to Alabama, a Jewish fam could be well on their way to buying a house with that chunk of change. 

Click this link to read the full article: Shalom Y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment