06 September 2008

prayers for my nephew, Tate


My brother Brent's youngest child, Tate, is going to be 1 year old on September 20. Today my family found out that in the past few days, Tate has suffered from two strokes. Because of this he lost all control of his right arm and leg. My mom said that his arm just hung there and his hand remained in a fist most of the time. The doctors first thought that he had just dislocated his elbow and tried to put it back in place. However, even after this was done, my brother began to notice that if he tickled Tate's left foot he pulled it back, but when he tickled his right foot, he didn't move it at all.

After going to the pediatrician in Tuscaloosa, Brent and Mon were sent to Children's Hospital in Birmingham where the discovery about the strokes was made. After tests all day, they finally came to the conclusion that Tate had indeed suffered from strokes in the past few days, and if he wasn't put on blood-thinners, there was risk of him having a major stroke soon also. Even though this was major news, we are very thankful that it wasn't a tumor or some kind of neurological disease. The doctors determined the reason (they think) for these strokes is because he has a congenital narrowing in one of his arteries in his cranium. This isn't necessarily a good thing because it isn't something that can be fixed and will possibly be something he has to deal with all of his life. The last time I talked to my parents he was being given some type of blood-thinning medicine intravenously. My mom also told me that my brother and sister-in-law are going to have to learn on Monday how to give Tate a shot every day for possibly 6 months, which will serve as a blood-thinning medicine for him as well. 

This would most certainly be devastating news to find out from New York City about anyone in my family. But, it's just so shocking to hear about it with the very youngest, tiniest member. However, I am praying and trusting that God is using this to glorify himself and bring all of us closer to Him and to remind us that we aren't promised another day here. Please pray for Tate, Brent and Monica and for Tate's two big sisters, Mayce and McKay. I know our whole family needs it right now, as we are all in total shock, but they need it especially as a family. 

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness perryn. i am so so sorry. i will most definitely be praying for tate and all of your family!! your blog made me cry or else i would call you--- i know how tough it is to be so far away right now, but keep trusting! and i will pray and keep praying. i love you and am thinking about you and the whole pettus fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p, i am praying for tate! hang in there. God is sovereign! i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just had to tell you- i was reading this post again on your blog and randomly clicked on tate's picture and it blew up on the whole screen and my heart melted!! he is soooo adorable. i hope all is getting better with the little man!

    ReplyDelete