24 December 2008

Christmas Eve's Eve

today I was talking to my sister and she reminded me that it was "Christmas eve's eve" and asked if I had reminded Buck of what today was, so when I thought of it, I hadn't. I immediately got off the phone with Paige, called Buck and told him Happy Christmas Eve's Eve and asked if he remembered that that was today. He chuckled a little (and I could picture the grin on his face) and said he did remember. (I could tell he was at work because he was trying to remain serious and not seem too enthusiastic, yet I could tell he really was) We're all grown ups now, but we still get excited at Christmas.

When we were younger, all my brothers and sister would be SO excited for Christmas that we would start a countdown wayyy earlier than necessary. We would refer to days as "Christmas eve's eve's eve's eve's eve's eve...and so on because we could hardly wait until the big day. But now, I blinked twice after August...and boom! Christmas is here! What happened? Where did the time go?

As much as I love the gigantic family my immediate family has grown into, I do miss the days of old when all four of us would sleep together in ONE bed on Christmas Eve, stay up late laughing and talking and wondering if we were going to get oranges in our stockings aggggain and what time Mom and Dad would finally break and come get us to see what "Sandy-Claus" (as we so affectionately refer to her) had brought. It was usually a standard rule that we could get up no earlier than 6 am, but we always tried to push it. As we got older 24 straight hours of A Christmas Story on TBS was incorporated into the Christmas Eve tradition, but looks like I'll have to go it alone this year... Nevertheless, even though I think I'll actually be able to sleep on Christmas Eve this year, I still love it!

Christmas 1987 (the glory days)

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention that even though WE were not allowed to get up before 6, Dad had been up since 4 pestering Mom about when we would wake up! :) Nice picture of Buck in his undies, by the way.

    ReplyDelete