12 March 2012

blue like jazz

Last Thursday night I went to a screening of the movie Blue Like Jazz (the movie comes out in theaters on April 13)! It's based on the book by Donald Miller that came out in 2003 while I was in college. I remember lots of friends reading the book (and raving about it), and even one professor in college who offered his testimony on the last day of class and referenced this book and Don Miller. But, I never got around to reading the book. However, I jumped at the chance to see the movie after hearing all the rave about it since college. I certainly plan to read the book now, but was glad - for the purpose of seeing the movie - to go in with a fresh mind and no expectations. I loved the movie, and thought it was incredibly done. It offered a real and challenging perspective of what happens to many people who grow up in and around the church (ahem, and in the South) and how they often become jaded and cynical. After the screening, there was a Q&A with Donald Miller and the director of the movie, Steve Taylor, which was fascinating to hear the story of how this movie came to be. I highly recommend! Warning: you might cry, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment