14 August 2008

the adult table


All my life I've had to sit at the kids table. I'm the youngest child of 4 and the 10th grandchild of 14 on my dad's side of the family and the youngest grandchild of 6 on my mom's side. And by the time I was more of an "adult" my brothers and sister had started having kids and I somehow always got placed at the kids table again.

All it took was me graduating from college before I was promoted to the "big people" table. While I was home in Alabama for the month of August, I was invited to go out to eat all by myself with the grown ups. My oldest brother and his wife and my other brother and his wife all drove to Birmingham one night and went to dinner at PF Changs. Not only did we all sit together at one table (with no kids anywhere to be seen) we talked about 401K retirement plans, health benefits and salaries. It's official now. I'm an adult - with adult table privileges.



1 comment:

  1. yipee you have finally arrived!!!! Welcome to the big peoples table:) We are so proud of you and hope you are very happy in NYC. GG'S

    ReplyDelete