31 July 2008

the game of life

I had a realization last night. When I was little, my family had the board game "Life" and I LOVED to play it. It was probably a close second favorite behind Candyland. I distinctly remember always hoping that I would roll or draw (I can't even remember now what you did) the doctor as my profession because the salary was $50,000 and that was SO much! (Plus, if it was the salary of a doctor, it had to be a lot...) Now, as I'm embarking on my own 'game of life' I'm starting realize exactly how "much", or in reality how little $50,000 is, AND that doctor's probably don't really make that as a salary. I feel so grown up now that I can say I have a job and a SALARY but I'm finally starting to understand why my parents always told me that money doesn't grow on trees. And, I am tempted to go buy the game of Life to see if they have adjusted the doctor's salary since I last played it in the late '80's and early 90's...or if they just like to keep kids in the dark about the real world and the reality of money?

No comments:

Post a Comment