03 January 2010

Top 10 of 2009

Just like Bono, I've been looking back and reflecting over the past year. After much thought, here are my Top 10 greatest discoveries or newfound loves- or in some cases, rekindled loves- that I came across in 2009. It was a tough year (and, honestly, it was rather difficult to even think of 10 things I liked about this year!), but nevertheless God's plan is perfect and now I have 2010 to look forward to with anticipation and excitement. Cheers!


1. My bike. I remembered how much I love to ride a bike. When the first signs of spring and summer peeked through, Lara and I hit the trails in Central Park and along the Hudson River. I'm here to say, you can't find anything better to do on a warm Saturday in Manhattan. Thanks to Mom I now have my very own bike for riding at my every whim of desire!

2. Harry Potter. I always considered myself to be a Harry Potter elitist- not because I'd read all the books and knew about them, but because I thought I was above reading nonsense involving wizards and witches. Thanks to Maggie (and a few other friends) who helped me see the light and the beauty of this series! After reading various articles and several of the books, I'd even argue that this book has very obvious Christian undertones, in similar ways to The Chronicles of Narnia. Thanks Maggie!

3. The Park Forum. Check it out! This nonprofit has been a godsend, literally. What a beautiful vision Bethany has for this organization and for the hearts of the people in urban areas. Being able to write for 843 Acres and go through the first Subway Series bible study has been such a blessing. If you're looking to give your money to something worthwhile (which hopefully you are: 1 Timothy 6: 6-19), you can donate online here!

4. Sharpie pens. I can't say much about these except I haven't found a pen I like this much in a lonnng time. I'm sure that's seemingly insignificant to most, but pens are of the utmost importance to an interior designer. Yes, it matters what the writing on your post-its looks like.

5. Anthropologie Stormy Sea Necklace. I usually don't wear jewelry that is this big and bold, but this has been a fun necklace to wear on special occasions (or a Monday at work). And I especially like it because CayK and I match now, which is exciting because it makes me think of her every time I wear it!

6. Panda Bear shower cap. For those who don't know this, I am a huge (huge!) shower cap proponent. For Christmas, my wonderful roommate from Auburn, Katie, found an even cuter version than what any Duane Reade in New York carries. I love it and wear it every night!

7. Target. Back in April, LA and I discovered a diamond in the rough: a Target in Brooklyn. It's not a super-Target, but that really doesn't matter. You can get there without having to have a car and without spending an entire day commuting which are both good enough for me. This is probably the most worthwhile discovery I've made since I moved to New York, seriously.

8. Izze Sparkling Juice. I'm not sure how I got so addicted to these drinks, but they are delicious. Midway through 2009, my favorite deli across from work stopped carrying Clearly Canadian (very, very tragic) and I had to find a viable alternative. Here's the winner, in blackberry flavor.

9. The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. I can't recommend this book enough. Bottom line. A friend of mine recommended it to me over a year ago and I finally got around to reading it last spring. It is something that we should all be aware of: how actively Satan is fighting for our souls every second. I'll be honest, I was literally frightened when I began reading it, but I would encourage everyone to read it anyway. You'll be prepared to fight against struggles in a totally different way.

10. Pashminas. I don't know how I ever lived without these! Thanks to Ashley and Caylen, I finally broke down and made the $5 investment and they are worth every penny- warm, colorful, versatile, the list could go on and on...I love these!

Here's to a happy & healthy 2010!

2 comments:

  1. eeee!!!! i perked up at so many of these!!! the necklace, izze, and the pashmina!! i do think you should buy one of those scarves in every color. invest in those street vendors! :)

    miss ya like crazy. i STILL need that QT with gmail...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even see this until now! I love it! Thanks for the shout out. The Park Forum loves Perryn, too!

    ReplyDelete