11 June 2008

bbq comes to the big city

The Big Apple BBQ Block Party was this weekend and it was a blast! I stumbled across it last summer after a friend told me and some of my friends about it. Of course, we went in search of sweet tea (surprise, surprise) which by the way, they didn't have; nonetheless, BBQ is still music to a southerner's ears. But, I did find something even better last year when I went - Big Bob Gibson's of Decatur, Alabama had a trailer selling BBQ in New York City. And we're not talking about thousands of booths from every BBQ place in the world selling BBQ - there are about 15-20. So, I thought this was a pretty big deal. Of course - last year, I marched right up to the table and told them I was from Alabama and that I grew up coming to their restaurant when I visited my grandparents...and they were indeed happy to meet another Southerner, but no free food or special treatment.

However, I stepped it up a notch this year. I wore my Big Bob Gibson's t-shirt that I've had since 8th grade to the Big Apple BBQ Block Party. If you know me very well at all, you know this is NOT like me to do something like this, but with much coercion and prodding, I did it. And boy, did I get special treatment this year! I just quietly noted to the lady who was serving the food that I was trying to help them advertise and pointed to my shirt - first, I got extra BBQ because of it (just what I need...) and then I got to have a photo shoot with the owner - not Big Bob, unfortunately, because he would about 115 now - but the current owner, the proverbial Big Bob. I got "special access" to go back to the smoker and get my picture taken in front of that. I got a picture with ole proverbial Big Bob himself. Pam and I got one together - all because I wore my shirt. 'Big Bob' even took some with his camera, so I asked him if they were gonna put them on the wall...we'll see. I have eyes who are gonna be on the lookout for me in case I never make it back to Decatur, Alabama.

And then, much to my surprise, I went back on Sunday and 'Big Bob' recognized me! Keep in mind, when I went on Saturday I had on a hat, a tshirt, no makeup...the look of a grungy, dirty college student (don't worry - a picture is coming - because I'm sure everyone can't wait to see the image I've just painted in your minds...) and then on Sunday I came straight from church - hair down, makeup on, a dress...and he recognized me and asked where my Big Bob Gibson's tshirt was :)

No comments:

Post a Comment