17 June 2008

southern accent = hillbilly

I forgot to mention in my last post, when I was in Brooklyn on Saturday, some of the kids that were there called me over to their table because they wanted to hear my "accent". (I wasn't really sure what they meant by "accent"...but I obliged anyway.) As soon as I told them I was from Alabama, they all erupted into laughter. "What are ya'll laughing at?!" was my next question, which brought even more laughter and a few blank stares...

I asked them if they had ever heard the word "ya'll" before and they said NOO. So, then I asked them if they liked my Southern accent, and they said "hahaha - you sound like a hillbilly." Gee thanks. Then when I inquired further, and asked them how they knew what a hillbilly was, they said they saw it on TV.

I can't decide which hillbilly they thought I sounded most like - Jethro or Ellie May?

2 comments:

  1. My aunt, uncle, and cousin live in California and they, too, give me such a hard time about my accent. My cousin had never once heard the word "britches" until I said it in front of her a few years ago. I then explained that "britches" is just a southern term for "pants." I have received the laugh after using the term "y'all" as well. They just don't get it, but there's nothing like a Southern accent. You simply can't beat it. Keep using that Southern drawl..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not equals to every mind....Please don't forsake that beautiful accent....I love it....it sets you apart....Yes, it is mom!

    ReplyDelete