11 June 2008

convo with the Markle dining hall worker

Markle dining hall worker: Hello.

Me: Hello. Umm, I'll have fish and new potatoes..annnd, um, that's all.

Markle dining hall worker: That's all?

Me: Well, actually, I guess I'll have some broccoli.

Markle dining hall worker: Yes, you have to have your vegetables.

Me: You're right. At least that's what my mom always told me (smile)... thank you.

(About 2 minute pause of no talking.)

Markle dining hall worker: Where you from?

Me: I'm from Alabama.

Markle dining hall worker: Ohhhh, Ala-bomb-ah!

Me: Yeah! How could you tell I wasn't from around here?

Markle dining hall worker: I want to go to the Ala-bomb-ah some day! Anywhere that is South, I want to go! I hear the people are so nice there.

Me: Yeah, they are! You should definitely go visit.

Markle dining hall worker: I want to eat there. Some fried chicken. And mashed potatoes.

Me: Yeah, it's so good. If you go there, the food is really good...you're making me hungry for Southern food.

Markle dining hall worker: I not eat at any restaurants. I just go to someone's house and eat something they cook. I hear people just take you into their home and cook for you.

Me: Yeah, they will! People love doing that kind of thing in the South. And the food is so great.

Markle dining hall worker: Yes, I walk down the road and say 'I want to eat someone's food who will cook. Take me into your house and cook food for me.' (with a very big smile on his face)

Me: Oh yeah, people in the South are so nice. They would definitely love that!

Markle dining hall worker: Ok, have a good night. See you later.

Me: Ok, bye.


I always seem to have some interesting experiences when people find out I am from the South...


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are representing the south so well....a true southern lady!!! MOM

    ReplyDelete